The world’s leading private equity firm investing in the life sciences sector retained IC to provide high-level business intelligence and government relations advisory services to support their $40 million dollar foreign direct investment in the Scottish marketplace.
To solidify our client’s presence in the Scottish market, and protect its significant investment there, we leveraged our strong relationships to engage with the highest levels of the Scottish government. IC’s team worked quickly to develop a three-pronged business development focused commercial diplomacy and government affairs plan:
1. first, to forestall approval of a competitive product opportunistically seeking to enter the Scottish market;
2. second, to re-establish and open lines of communication with senior decision makers responsible for the International Trade, Foreign Affairs, and Health portfolios; and
3. third, to secure the client’s position in the market by building awareness of the company’s positive contributions to the local economy and health of the population.
Our client was able to secure regulatory approvals and we opened lines of communication with the regulator, protecting its market share and preventing millions in lost revenue and hundreds of jobs from being lost. Additionally, we were able to position our client as a partner with the government and as the Scottish industry leader, further strengthening its foundation for growth and sustained success. IC’s direct involvement instilled investor confidence with the US parent company which ultimately saved the client’s Series B fundraiser; which resulted in a double digit multi-million dollar investment, a sizeable amount which came from San Francisco based Founders Fund, one of the world’s top venture capital firms with more than $2 billion in assets under management backed by PayPal’s co-founder Peter Thiel.
- Life Sciences
- Market Entry Support
- Government Relations/Commercial Diplomacy
- Foreign Direct Investment